[dpdk-dev] Coverity scan

Aaron Conole aconole at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 18:34:30 CET 2020

Thomas Monjalon <thomas at monjalon.net> writes:

> We have a public Coverity scan triggered by John for the community:
> 	https://scan.coverity.com/projects/dpdk-data-plane-development-kit
> Note there is a tool to help with this task:
> 	http://thyrsus.com/gitweb/?p=coverity-submit.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/1.13
>
> I see two issues with this scan:
> 	- it is run manually
> 	- not all code is scanned currently
>
> Note that we should be able to run one scan per day for free:
> 	https://scan.coverity.com/faq#frequency
>
> With David, we looked at automating the Coverity scan,
> with the help of Travis automation:
> 	https://scan.coverity.com/travis_ci
> Such automation cannot be configured on the existing Coverity project.

Why not?

> I tried to open a new Coverity project connected to our GitHub.

I don't know that it will work.  Either you'll need a separate GitHub,
or you'll need to use a special branch.

> I have a very poor confidence in Coverity/Travis/GitHub integration.
> I will explain below why.

Hrrm.. lots of projects use it.  And they do just what you prescribe
below (skipping jobs/builds when on the coverity branch).

> 1/ The instructions were wrong. In this command, there are two mistakes:
> 	openssl s_client -connect https://scan.coverity.com:443 |
> 	sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' |
> 	sudo tee -a /etc/ssl/certs/ca-
> For the record, a proper a simpler command is:
> 	true | openssl s_client -connect scan.coverity.com:443 |
> 	openssl x509 |
> 	sudo tee -a /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

Okay, that's fixable.

> 2/ The coverity scan is triggered as a job addon.
> The rest of the job must be cancelled with this tricky patch:
>
> -script: ./.ci/${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}-build.sh
> +script: if [ "${COVERITY_SCAN_BRANCH}" != 1 ] ; then ./.ci/${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}-build.sh ; fi

More than that, because we probably also want:

if ([[ "${TRAVIS_JOB_NUMBER##*.}" == "1" ]] && [[ "${TRAVIS_BRANCH}" == "coverity_scan" ]]); then ./.ci/${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}-build.sh ; fi

That will only do one job (which solves 3/ below)

> 3/ We need only to prepare the source code once per day.
> But our .travis.yml has many jobs which must be dropped or ignored.
>
> 4/ A big encrypted token must be added in the configuration:
> 	# encrypted COVERITY_SCAN_TOKEN
> 	- secure: "VgRYG9N5adKkM9/QpPgswn1c+VXS1mFVN0vgdjuC/bDv2x4u...etc..."

Why it's a problem?

> 5/ The addon is triggered when pushing to a specific branch
> (adding config for the record):
> 	coverity_scan:
> 		project:
> 			name: "DPDK/dpdk"
> 		notification_email: test-report at dpdk.org
> 		build_command_prepend: "meson build -Dexamples=all"
> 		build_command: "ninja -C build"
> 		branch_pattern: coverity_scan
>
> 6/ This attempt failed with this log (no more information):
> 	$ export PROJECT_NAME=DPDK/dpdk
> 	Coverity Scan analysis selected for branch coverity_scan.
> 	Coverity Scan API access denied. Check $PROJECT_NAME and $COVERITY_SCAN_TOKEN.

Probably there is an issue with the token + PROJECT_NAME.

> So I am giving up with Travis+Coverity.
> The only benefit of Travis is to have a central build configuration.
> So when a driver is enabled in Travis, it would be scanned in Coverity.
> Note: Coverity does a build step to prepare the sources.

I can try to assist with this if you've not completely abandoned the idea.

> Now the question: how can we better configure the community Coverity scan?
> I propose to set it up in our community lab.
> Comments? Suggestions?

Since we do have something working, but it's manual, is there a way to
at least make it happen automatically?  Maybe some cron job?