[dpdk-dev] Arm roadmap for 20.05

Honnappa Nagarahalli Honnappa.Nagarahalli at arm.com
Fri Mar 20 21:45:33 CET 2020

<snip>

> Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Arm roadmap for 20.05
>
> On 2020-03-10 17:42, Honnappa Nagarahalli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	Following are the work items planned for 20.05:
> >
> > 1) Use C11 atomic APIs in timer library
> > 2) Use C11 atomic APIs in service cores
> > 3) Use C11 atomics in VirtIO split ring
> > 4) Performance optimizations in i40e and MLX drivers for Arm platforms
> > 5) RCU defer API
> > 6) Enable Travis CI with no huge-page tests - ~25 test cases
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Honnappa
>
> Maybe you should have a look at legacy DPDK atomics as well? Avoiding a full
> barrier for the add operation, for example.
By legacy, I believe you meant rte_atomic APIs. Those APIs do not take memory order as a parameter. So, it is difficult to change the implementation for those APIs. For ex: the add operation could take a RELEASE or RELAXED order depending on the use case.
So, the proposal is to deprecate the rte_atomic APIs and use C11 APIs directly. The proposal is here: https://patches.dpdk.org/cover/66745/