[dpdk-dev] Impossible to build external application if user build DPDK with "make config"

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Fri Mar 27 15:24:17 CET 2020

Le 27/03/2020 à 14:55, Thomas Monjalon a écrit :
> 27/03/2020 13:35, Tom Barbette:
>> Le 27/03/2020 à 11:35, Thomas Monjalon a écrit :
>>> 27/03/2020 10:14, Tom Barbette:

>>> I don't understand the issue.
>>> First of all, the external application should link an installed DPDK.
>>> Then you should be able to set $RTE_SDK and $RTE_TARGET to fit
>>> the installation directories.
>>>
>>> Just checked doc/guides/linux_gsg/build_dpdk.rst
>>> I see the whole build process with make is not correctly documented.
>>> It should be:
>>>
>>> 1/
>>> 	make defconfig
>>> 	or
>>> 	make config T=x86_64-native-linux-gcc O=mybuild
>>>
>>> 2/	make -j4 O=mybuild
>>>
>>> 3/	make install O=mybuild DESTDIR=myinstall prefix=
>>>
>>> 4/	RTE_SDK=$(pwd)/myinstall/share/dpdk RTE_TARGET=x86_64-native-linux-gcc make -C myapp
>>>
>>> Please can you confirm it works?
>>>

>> I don't think it is usual to link against an "installed" DPDK, actually.
>> I've only seen people explaining "build DPDK with 1 & 2", which is
>> probably why the quick start also use only that and the usertools menu
>> also only builds in the usual folder SDK/TARGET.
>>
>> Then also using the install method you propose, I'm missing a few
>> libraries, eg -lethdev which I would have to find using
>> -L$RTE_SDK/../../lib which does not sound great. But adding a link to
>> ../../lib under share fixes the problem, and the install script could do it.
>
> Why are you trying to link a library in RTE_SDK?
> You should set the installed library directory with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
I don't want DPDK to be installed system-wide. I have a lot of versions,
modified for different projects from different people, that has
different compatibility level. And even, different versions compiled for
different CPU architectures among our cluster.

I prefer to only rely $RTE_SDK to know where "everything is". I could
tell to my users to add something in their LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I would
prefer to stick to only the standard RTE_SDK and RTE_TARGET.

>> Making RTE_SDK_BIN a ?= instead of a := would allow us to fix the
>> non-installed, but built-in-a-funny-folder installation path easily.
>>
>> So I would recommend doing the lib link, but still the change proposed
>> because I'm really not sure people "install" DPDK...
>
> The correct method is installing the library and using standard environment variables.
> The only change I am OK to do is improving the documentation.
You know best... I still think make install is unnecessary in most cases
so I would not change the doc either...

Tom