[dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re: input port in mbuf

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed May 6 22:23:42 CEST 2020

On Wed, 6 May 2020 20:17:20 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh at marvell.com> wrote:

> For performance optimizations, we need to know the input DPDK port as after the buffer was transmitted via our ethdev driver instead of release it back to the memory-pool we can release it to the originated HW pool of the input port.

But you can't be sure where the mbuf came from.
It could be a receive on any vendors driver, or it could be from a private pool
that is  used for transmit, or anywhere.

Please reconsider the real nature here; the world is not testpmd, l2fwd, l3fwd etc.
These are the kind of optimizations that break real applications and cause
more trouble than the benefit for one silly benchmark.