[dpdk-dev] Questions on DPDK pkg-config

Harris, James R james.r.harris at intel.com
Wed Sep 23 20:21:16 CEST 2020

Hi,

SPDK would like to use DPDK’s pkg-config files rather than rolling our own linker arguments.  I’m running into a couple of issues – one looks like a bug, the other is not as clear.

First is the use of --as-needed (https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/commit/b98447077b0609750c10b84b7b2e7be0c8504fad).  We have run into problems with this in the past, specifically related to the rte_mempool_ring MEMPOOL_REGISTER_OPS constructor functions.  --as-needed results in similar behavior to omitting --whole-archive when using static libraries – meaning the constructor function doesn’t get called and we cannot create any mempools since there are no registered mempool_ops.  I think this would also affect other uses of constructor functions within DPDK when using pkg-config, but this rte_mempool_ring one is the only that would impact SPDK so it’s the only one I’ve checked.

Second is that rte_bus_pci is not included in the pkg-config output.  SPDK relies on rte_bus_pci since we have our own DPDK drivers for things like nvme, virtio-blk and virtio-scsi and need access to rte_pci_read_config, rte_pci_write_config and rte_pci_register.  Perhaps we could add bus_pci to the dpdk_libraries in lib/meson.build?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jim