[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/2] add Tx prepare support for bonding device

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Tue Apr 20 15:18:05 CEST 2021

I think inside bond PMD we can safely assume that any TX offload does need tx_prepare().
If that's not the case then slave dev tx_prepare pointer will be NULL and rte_eth_tx_prepare()
will be just a NOOP.

> For Vdev devices such as bond, all NIC devices need to be considered. Generally,
> tx_prepare is used in CKSUM and TSO. It is possible that for some NIC devices, even
> CKSUM and TSO do not need to invoke tx_prepare, or for some NIC devices, there are
> other Tx offloads that need to call tx_prepare. From this perspective, leaving the
> choice to the user seems to be a better choice.

Wonder how user will know when to enable/disable it?
As you said it depends on the underlying HW/PMD and can change from system to system?
I think it is PMD that needs to take this decision, and I think the safest bet might be to enable
it when any TX offloads was enabled by user.