[dpdk-dev] L3fwd mode in testpmd

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Tue Apr 27 11:57:43 CEST 2021

In fact, l3fwd is also quite big and complex:
$ wc -l examples/l3fwd/*.[h,c] |grep total
  6969 total

Plus it will introduce extra dependencies (fib, lpm, hash, might-be acl?)
I am not sure it is a good idea to pull all these complexities into test-pmd.
I can't imagine that l3fwd app need ability to configure each and every
PMD parameter.
From my experience in l3fwd most of cycles are spent not in PMD itself,
but in actual packet processing: header parsing and checking, classification,
routing table lookup, etc.