[dpdk-dev] Running DPDK application with non-previlege mode

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Aug 31 21:44:14 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:50:43PM +0530, Kamaraj P wrote:
> Thanks David. Will check it out.
>
> BTW are there any steps where DPDK testpmd can run as a non privileged user
> mode ( with any driver )?
> Please share if you have any pointers.
>
> Thanks,
> Kamaraj

Not sure if this is generally applicable but I ran a test using testpmd as
a non-root user on my Ubuntu 21.04 system.

I bound a couple of ports using the i40e driver to DPDK using vfio-pci
kernel driver, and then did a chmod on the /dev/vfio/ nodes for them to
give the user access. I also gave the user rw access to the hugepage mount
point I had created. Thereafter testpmd ran fine as a non-root user and I
was able to put traffic through it.

Regards,
/Bruce