[dpdk-dev] DPDK 20.11 Static vs Dynamic Linking- l2fwd issue

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Jan 19 11:40:10 CET 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 03:36:18PM +0530, Truring Team wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am facing one issue with dpdk 20.11 Release, compiled the l2fwd app with
> make static , its throwing following error while running the app:
>
> Problematic Use Case:
> cd dpdk-20.11/examples/l2fwd
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib64/pkgconfig
> *make static *
> ./build/l2fwd -l 0-3 -n 4 -- -q 1 -p 1
> EAL: Detected 6 lcore(s)
> EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes
> EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
> EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'PA'
> EAL: No available hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB
> EAL: Probing VFIO support...
> EAL: No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not created
> MAC updating enabled
>
> *EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1  Cause: No Ethernet ports - bye*

<snip>
> Can someone help me to figure out the root cause why this happening.

It seems like the static libs for the drivers are not linked in for the
"make static" case. Can you please check the following:

* What OS/distro are you using, and what is the pkg-config version? The
  version of pkg-config included in RHEL/Centos is known to have some
  issues in linking DPDK.
* What is the output when you run "pkg-config --static --libs libdpdk"