[dpdk-dev] telemetry logs

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Tue Mar 2 11:42:32 CET 2021

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 11:23:41AM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 02/03/2021 11:14, Bruce Richardson:
> > On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 08:22:15PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Sorry if I already asked this question.
> > > Would it be possible to use rte_log in rte_telemetry
> > > instead of returning telemetry_log_error at init?
> > >
> > It probably could be made to work by passing in the log function at init
> > time. Haven't delved too much into the details, though.
>
> Actually I think a better question is about the need to init telemetry
> if not used. It can generate an error without a need.
> Instead of the existing option --no-telemetry,
> what do you think of initializing the telemetry on its first use?
> This way we could remove the dependency of EAL on telemetry?

There is no real first use - the various libraries all register their callbacks
inside the init functions of the shared libraries. Having it initialized
inside EAL makes things very useful, because it means that all DPDK apps
automatically have telemetry available.

For example, end of last week I was able to put together a quick python
script to print out PPS stats for any DPDK app using the telemetry data.
Tested and developed initially using testpmd as a reference app, but ran
perfectly first time using OVS running in the background.

/Bruce