[dpdk-dev] Minutes of Technical Board Meeting, 2021-09-08

Honnappa Nagarahalli Honnappa.Nagarahalli at arm.com
Thu Sep 23 00:17:17 CEST 2021

Minutes of Technical Board Meeting, 2021-09-08

Members Attending: 10/12
- Aaron Conole
- Bruce Richardson
- Ferruh Yigit
- Hemant Agrawal
- Honnappa Nagarahalli (Chair)
- Kevin Traynor
- Maxime Coquelin
- Olivier Matz
- Stephen Hemminger
- Thomas Monjalon

NOTE: The Technical Board meetings take place every second Wednesday on  https://meet.jit.si/DPDK  at 3 pm UTC.
Meetings are public, and DPDK community members are welcome to attend.
Agenda and minutes can be found at https://annuel.framapad.org/p/r.0c3cc4d1e011214183872a98f6b5c7db
NOTE: Next meeting will be on Wednesday 2021-09-22 @3pm UTC, and will be chaired by Kevin

1) Any new ABI breakages?
	- Akhil will send out a ABI breakage approval request to Techboard in CryptoDev.
	- Honnappa will send out a ABI breakage approval request for rte_eal_wait_lcore API.
	- Please CC Ray Kinsela on these emails

2) ORAN AAL Questions/Concerns? Can we refer it to Governing board to get a legal opinion?
	- Aaron clarified that Redhat has to strip the DPDK modules that use SCCL before packaging
	- Techboard recommends that the ORAN AAL work should result in a specification that allows for DPDK to follow its own coding guidelines (ex: naming conventions), principles (ex: object types, meta data) and policies (ex: ABI policy).
	- Techboard will seek legal opinion on "If DPDK implements APIs from SCCL licensed specification document (assumed to be similar in technical content to VirtIO spec), what kind of licensing encumbrances are attached to the API?"
	- Techboard will request the governing board to establish a channel with ORAN community to proactively discuss the SCCL licensing issues

3) User space event
	- Current recommendation is to host the user space event in Europe just before or just after FOSDEM. This allows participants to cover both the events with a single travel.
	- Hybrid event is recommended.

4) Techboard membership policy
	- This work is split into 2 buckets. a) Document the current policy of accepting new members b) Policy to evaluate the continued Techboard membership
	- #a is almost ready. Hemant and Thomas will make final touches.
	- A deadline to complete #b will be discussed in the next Techboard meeting.

5) Slack channel update
	- Slack channel is created and tested
	- Slack channel's existence will be announced in this week's release status meeting and the invitation link will be provided.

6) Update on DTS usability WG
	- The WG has completed triaging the input
	- Next step is to create a set of slides to provide context and an excel sheet to document the changes required. Honnappa has the AI to bring this to Techboard.

More information about the dev mailing list