i40e QinQ Offload w/ NVM 8.40 not working

Ben Magistro koncept1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:13:32 CEST 2022

Hello,

We recently needed to apply a firmware upgrade for some XXV710s to resolve
a FEC issue (I'd have to find the details in email) but applied this same
firmware to other nics (XL710s) to maintain a consistent baseline.  In
testing we have seen the NVM 8.40 resolve the FEC issue but it introduces
an issue with QinQ offloading + stripping.  When running NVM 8.15 (previous
version), we could send QinQ traffic, and the nic would properly strip and
store the values into vlan_tci and vlan_tci_outer as expected.  When
running NVM 8.40 (FEC fix version) sending QinQ traffic is only stripping
the inner tag.  The code we are using has not changed.

I added some additional lines to drivers/net/i40e/i40e_rxtx.c to help
troubleshoot this, specifically one to log the vlans and one to log
ext_status.  In comparing the two, ext_status is 0 under 8.40 while it is 1
under 8.15.  This does correspond with not running the second layer
processing code in the i40e_rxtx.c (line ~87).  We will continue to
investigate but would like to get this out there sooner and ask for
assistance in confirming this behavior.

This is a Dell based card so the firmware package used to update/downgrade
the card is coming from Dell and not Intel directly.  It is our assumption
that the firmware in general should be pretty consistent between the two.

Traffic is being generated by trex with the vlan nesting being pushed by
some Juniper switches.  Both vlan tags are 0x8100.

OS: CentOS 7.9
DPDK: 20.08 (we know it's not supported anymore, but were trying to put off
that upgrade until some other changes were also completed)
NIC: i40e XL710 -- net_i40e / firmware 8.15 0x800096d0 20.0.17

If there are any additional details needed please let us know.

Thanks,

Ben