[dts] Packets reorder in the second pass on mempool

Masoud Moshref Javadi masood.moshref.j at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:03:45 CEST 2015

Hi

I'm new to dpdk and I hope you can solve my weird problem (I think I
sent this message to dev list by mistake. sorry)

I see packet reordering correlated with the batchsize and mempool size.

I have a very simple setting of a sender and a receiver connected with a
simple 10G switch.
The sender sends udp packets at 14.88MPPS and just puts a 32bit sequence
number in the udp packets.
The receiver reads packets and expects the packets to be in order.
However, the receiver sees packets in a reordered way like this (note
that it starts from 7808 in different runs):

expected, seen , seen-expected
7808, 7936 = 128
7978, 8106 = 128
8145, 8273 = 128
8308, 8436 = 128
8448, 8320 = -128
8391, 8519 = 128
8576, 8448 = -128
8518, 8646 = 128
8704, 8576 = -128

The batchsize at sender is 128.
The configuration of ports and mempools are similar to basicfwd.c in
basic forwarding example of dpdk.
Interestingly if I change the size of mempool, the beginning of packet
reordering changes from 7808.

#define NUM_MBUFS 8192
#define MBUF_SIZE (1600 + sizeof(struct rte_mbuf) + RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM)
#define MBUF_CACHE_SIZE 250
#define BURST_SIZE 128

mbuf_pool = rte_mempool_create("MBUF_POOL",
                                         NUM_MBUFS * nb_ports,
                                         MBUF_SIZE,
                                         MBUF_CACHE_SIZE,
                                         sizeof(struct
rte_pktmbuf_pool_private),
                                         rte_pktmbuf_pool_init, NULL,
                                         rte_pktmbuf_init,      NULL,
                                         1,
                                         0);

The main sender loop is as follows:

   for (;pkts_num<target;) {
                          /* Get burst of RX packets, from first port of
pair. */
                          rte_mempool_sc_get_bulk(mbuf_pool,
(void**)&bufs, BURST_SIZE);
                          /* Send burst of TX packets, to second port of
pair. */
                          for (i=0; i< BURST_SIZE; i++){
                                  m = bufs[i];
                                  m->data_len = 60;