[dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, November 29th

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Thu Dec 1 10:20:32 CET 2016

2016-11-30 22:08, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com]
> > 2016-11-30 16:01, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> > > - For voting, agreed that the quorum for a meeting for either board is
> > 50% of the members. Majority required to pass a vote is 50% of the total
> > board except for: a) changes to the charter require 2/3 of the GB; b)
> > licensing exceptions require 2/3 of the GB.
> >
> > The current quorum for the TB is 6/7. 50% is a big change.
>
> I'm not sure where 6/7 was agreed,

It was defined by the technical board.

> but I'd be against that for a few reasons:
> - Requiring a 6/7 majority makes it very difficult to pass a vote because almost everybody has to be available, in attendance and in agreement.

No, it is an attendance quorum. It means we cannot take a decision
if too many members are missing.
The vote is at majority (50%).

> - It means that companies that have two representatives on the board (currently Intel and 6WIND) effectively have a veto.

See above, 50% avoid such veto.

> - A minor point, but whatever level we decide on should be expressed as a percentage so that it's applicable if/when the board size changes.

Yes, that's why I've suggested in the charter a 70% quorum if I remember well
(but I cannot find it anymore and history is disabled).