[dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, January 17th

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.odriscoll at intel.com
Thu Jan 19 12:52:45 CET 2017

Here are my notes from Tuesday's call. Please feel free to correct any errors or to add additional details.

Attendees: Ed Warnicke (Cisco), Francois-Frederic Ozog (Linaro), Hemant Agrawal (NXP), Jan Blunck (Brocade), Jaswinder Singh (NXP), John McNamara (Intel), Keith Wiles (Intel), Kevin Traynor (Red Hat), Matt Spencer (ARM), Olga Shern (Mellanox), Tim O'Driscoll (Intel), Vincent Jardin (6WIND).

Firstly, here are some links to help keep track of things:
Project Charter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x43ycfW3arJNX-e6NQt3OVzAuNXtD7dppIhrY48FoGs
Summary of discussion at Userspace event in Dublin: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-October/049259.html
Minutes of October 31st call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000031.html
Minutes of November 8th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000058.html
Minutes of November 15th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000061.html
Minutes of November 22nd call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000085.html
Minutes of November 29th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000099.html
Minutes of December 6th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000121.html
Minutes of December 13th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000124.html
Minutes of December 20th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000127.html
Minutes of January 10th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000136.html
Technical governance, including info on Maintainers and sub-trees: http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/index.html & http://dpdk.org/dev.

Reviewed the latest comments on the project charter. These were the significant discussion points:

Discussed whether Governing Board meetings should be public:
- Most other board meetings in similar open source projects are private. Projects such as OFP do issue public versions of meeting minutes, which are typically >90% the same as the private version.
- I proposed leaving the charter doc unchanged. As currently written, it does not require GB meetings to be public, but does not prevent the GB from having public meetings if it chooses to do so in future. Most people (Ed, Keith, Kevin, Jaswinder) agreed. Vincent disagreed. Vincent will consider the issue again and see if there's another way to address his concerns.

Reviewed 4.c and 4.d, which document that the GB will determine limits and costs for hosting hardware in the lab, if and when a DPDK lab is set up. Removed proposed 4.e which proposed that the lab approach should be approved by the Technical Board as this was considered an implementation detail.