[dpdk-dev] Clang Scan build results

Wiles, Roger Keith keith.wiles at windriver.com
Wed Aug 27 17:52:21 CEST 2014

Nice, we had to buy one and that was not cheap :-) I groped around on the Coverity site and did not find any statement about being free to open source, but I may have just missed it.

I did find that PC-Lint, Coverity, scan-build, … all seem to test different parts of your code and some are better then others. Some have a lot false positives and some report huge number of issues, but it just depends on the type and level of scan you want. One thing I found was you need to run different tools to find different problems as none of them do everything IMO.

On Aug 27, 2014, at 10:24 AM, Jay Rolette <rolette at infiniteio.com<mailto:rolette at infiniteio.com>> wrote:

> We could run something like PC-Lint or Coverity, but they cost money :-)
Pretty sure Coverity is free for open source projects...

Jay

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Wiles, Roger Keith <keith.wiles at windriver.com<mailto:keith.wiles at windriver.com>> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I built dpdk with Clang and used the scan-build analyzer to produce a report. The report is about 13M in size so not very nice to send to the list. I decided to place the report on github.com<http://github.com/> if you want to see the results.

While running scan-build the build would fail, but I forced the build to continue using the scan-build option to get as much of the report as possible. I did not have time yet to understand why the build stopped and I hope to dig into it more later.

Running scan-build is pretty simple, so would be a nice test report if you wanted to add it to dpdk.org<http://dpdk.org/> site and maintain its output for review. It would be nice to run once in a while to weed out any basic problems. We could run something like PC-Lint or Coverity, but they cost money :-)

Here is the link to my Pktgen-DPDK repos on github:

# git clone git://github.com/Pktgen/dpdk-scan-build-results.git<http://github.com/Pktgen/dpdk-scan-build-results.git>

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks
++Keith

Keith Wiles, Principal Technologist with CTO office, Wind River mobile 972-213-5533<tel:972-213-5533>

Keith Wiles, Principal Technologist with CTO office, Wind River mobile 972-213-5533