[dpdk-dev] Manage DPDK port capability via KNI

Zhou, Danny danny.zhou at intel.com
Wed Feb 25 06:05:08 CET 2015

You can do it but it will not sync with DPDK. In current KNI implementation, the devices'
I/O address spaces are mapped to both userspace DPDK and kenrelspace KNI, so one
can control the NIC device independently(using ethtool for KNI and ethdev APIs for DPDK)
without synchronization.

In theory, KNI should route all device control request from ethtool to DPDK. But unfortunately,
a short path is adopted at the moment due to DPDK reused lots of legacy kernel codes with BSD license.