[dpdk-dev] jumbo frame support for 82583V

Klaus Degner kd at allegro-packets.com
Fri Jul 17 13:56:03 CEST 2015

Hi Wenzhuo,

We are testing different Intel NICs for DPDK. We have tested the master
branch with the support for 82583V Intel chip.
It works very well except that we can only use up to 1518 bytes for
maximum packet capture.
We have debugged this and it is restricted in the initialization:

http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/e1000/em_ethdev.c#n855

Without DPDK, the linux driver support and mtu up to 9k and ark.intel
reports that this chip is jumbo frame capable:

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/41676/Intel-82583V-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

Is there any specific reason why DPDK cannot use jumbo frames for this NIC ?

Thanks for help !

Klaus