[dpdk-dev] DPDK namespace

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 6 07:26:56 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 05:31:22PM +0300, Arnon Warshavsky wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Trahe, Fiona <fiona.trahe at intel.com> wrote:

+1: it's a bit weird to keep both, especially for a long while, that
every time we turn a rte_ prefix to dpdk_ prefix, we break applications.
Instead of breaking applications many times, I'd prefer to break once.
Therefore, applications could do a simple global rte_ -> dpdk_ substitute:
it doesn't sound that painful then.

And here are few more comments:

- we should add rte_/dpdk_ prefix to all public structures as well.

  I'm thinking we are doing well here. I'm just aware that vhost lib
  does a bad job, which is something I proposed to fix in next release.

- If we do the whole change once, I'd suggest to do it ASAP when this
  release is over.

  It should be a HUGE change that touches a lot of code, if we do it
  later, at a stage that a lot of patches for new features have been
  made or sent out, all of them need rebase. That'd be painful.

	--yliu