[dpdk-dev] DPDK namespace

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 14:07:44 CEST 2016

On 04/06/2016 08:26 AM, Yuanhan Liu wrote:
> [...]

I concur. If (and I think that should be a pretty big IF) the prefix is
to be changed then its better done in one fast sweep than gradually.

Gratuitious (or nearly so) change is always extremely annoying, and the
longer it takes the more painful it is. Application developers wont much
care what the prefix is as long as its consistent, but if they're forced
to track prefix changes across several releases with different libraries
moving at different pace, they WILL be calling for bloody murder :)

As for rte_ being strange for DPDK - yes it is, but it takes like 5
minutes to get over it. It would help to have it explained on dpdk.org
FAQ: "Due to historical reasons, DPDK libraries are prefixed rte_
instead of dpdk_ because <insert excuse here, probably early project
name> and changing it is unnecessarily painful."

> And here are few more comments:
>
> - we should add rte_/dpdk_ prefix to all public structures as well.
>
>    I'm thinking we are doing well here. I'm just aware that vhost lib
>    does a bad job, which is something I proposed to fix in next release.

Yup, all public symbols should be prefixed. What the exact prefix is
isn't that important really.

> - If we do the whole change once, I'd suggest to do it ASAP when this
>    release is over.
>
>    It should be a HUGE change that touches a lot of code, if we do it
>    later, at a stage that a lot of patches for new features have been
>    made or sent out, all of them need rebase. That'd be painful.

Nod, that's yet another aspect to consider.

So to summarize, I'm not strongly opposed to doing a one-time mass rte_
-> dpdk_ prefix change, but it needs to be one big sweep all at once, or
not do it at all. Gradual change is a suicide.

Keeping rte_ is not the end of the world by any means, especially when
applied consistently and explained someplace.

	- Panu -