[dpdk-dev] Regarding DPDK installation

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Mar 22 14:36:21 CET 2016

2016-03-22 13:13, Vivek Gupta:
> I am trying to install DPDK 2.2 on Ubuntu 14.

Do you just want to compile DPDK or really install it?
Where do you want to install DPDK?

> After configuring all necessary variables in common_linuxapp
> file, I run following two commands
>
> make config T=x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc

The "make config" command is useless if using "install T=" after.

> make install T=x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc

The install directory is not specified in this command.

> After 'make install T=x86_64-ivshmem-linuxapp-gcc' , installation fails with message as below
>
> **************
> Build complete [x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc]
> Installation cannot run with T defined and DESTDIR undefined
> ******************************

Why don't you use DESTDIR as suggested?

Or instead of using the old all-in-one "install T=", you can use
the more standard syntax in 3 commands:
	make config T=<target>
	<adjust settings in .config>
	make
	make install [DESTDIR=] [prefix=]

> I have gone through following patches:
> http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/9270/
> http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/9272/
> More interestingly  I found that changes suggested in above patches
> were already in place except of below two-
> addition of 'prefix' in file .../doc/build-sdk-quick-txt  [ Applied in ]
> addition of  'make install T=X86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc'  in file ../doc/guides/prog_guide/dev_kit_root_make_help.rst

These patches have been Superseded by newer (see the State field).

> In file doc/guides/prog_guide/dev_kit_root_make_help.rst , I had "make install DESTDIR=myinstall" which i replaced with "make install DESTDIR=myinstall prefix=/usr"and tried but no success
>  so change the content as suggested in patch#9270 as "make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc prefix=/usr" but no progress.
>
> Kindly suggest to solve this issue.

Please read the whole doc/guides/prog_guide/dev_kit_root_make_help.rst
and don't hesitate to suggest any change if something is not clear.
Thanks

> ::DISCLAIMER::
[...]

no disclaimer please