[dpdk-dev] Hotplug support for VFIO

Eelco Chaudron echaudron at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 13:58:01 CET 2017

On 02/02/17 13:05, Burakov, Anatoly wrote:
> Hi Eelco,
>
> Please forgive me my ignorance on this matter, but doesn't it work at the moment? I would assume that if regular PCI hotplug works (with igb_uio), then so would hotplug with VFIO, as it basically utilizes the same PCI infrastructure igb_uio does. That said, I'm not aware of any patches submitted that had to do with VFIO and hotplug, so I guess the answer is, not at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
> Anatoly
I was asking as the documentation explicitly mentions its not supported.
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/port_hotplug_framework.html#hotplug

- "To detach a port, the port should be backed by a device that igb_uio
manages. VFIO is not supported."

I could not find any specific reason why it's not supported, so if some
one can explain this it would help also...

Cheers,

Eelco