[dpdk-dev] DPDK techboard minutes 5th december

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Mon Dec 17 15:10:30 CET 2018

Meeting notes for the DPDK technical board meeting held on 2018-12-05

Attendees:

- Bruce Richardson
- Ferruh Yigit
- Konstantin Ananyev
- Maxime Coquelin
- Olivier Matz
- Thomas Monjalon

1) Status of the Meson build system
-----------------------------------

- Current gaps are

   - apps in the "test" folder
   - the experimental tag checking
   - doc building

- disabling drivers compilation is not possible to avoid multiple build
  combination
- compilation errors are outputed on stdout instead of stderr (bug? TBC)

2) Feedback from governing board meeting

- budget may be available for the lab, we should think about what
  we need.
- DPDK is still not joining the Linux Foundation Networking umbrella
- about the possibility of merging DPDK & SPDK, the concerns are:
  each projects has its tools and process, markets are different too.
  The govboard will study the idea.

3) Using github and gerrit for DPDK
-----------------------------------

Currently, we use github as a read-only mirror for dpdk, and
we encourage people to use it for draft trees when implementing
big features. This was previously discussed during these techboard
meetings:

- https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2017-June/068450.html
- https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2017-August/073643.html
- https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2018-March/093792.html
- https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2018-June/105154.html

Moving to Gerrit or Github would completely change our process. However,
we should discuss at next meeting how we can poll the community wishes,
and what is the techboard opinion on this topic, so it can be documented.

4) Next techboard meeting

 - Items for agenda:

   - github/gerrit
   - removal of kni ethtool kernel drivers