[dpdk-dev] [RFC] net/tap: add queues when attaching from secondary process

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue Jun 12 14:46:29 CEST 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 6:24 PM, Raslan Darawsheh <rasland at mellanox.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As you know that currently TAP pmd support attaching a secondary process to a primary process.
> But, it's still lacking the ability to do Rx/Tx burst since it's lacking the necessary fds for RX/TX queues,
> And the setting of Rx/Tx burst function.
>
> This patch the main purpose is to exchange the fds between the processes throw the IPC massages
> And to set the Rx/Tx functions for the secondary.
>
> I hope I explained it properly, please let me know if you still didn't get it.

I see the code sending the FD’s of primary and secondary to each other and the code looks fine. The problem I see is what I asked before in the comments below, which is the FDs on one process can not be used on another process without the kernel converting the FD for the given process. Is this the case here or not?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8037746/is-there-an-easier-way-to-share-file-descriptors-between-unrelated-processes-on

Regards,
Keith