[dpdk-dev] Question about DPDK hugepage fd change

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue Feb 5 23:02:34 CET 2019

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 3:49 PM, Iain Barker <iain.barker at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> Maybe I do not see the full problem here. If DPDK used poll instead of select it would solve the 1024 problem as poll has a high limit to the number of file descriptors at least that was my assumption.
>>>

> Thanks Keith.
>
> The issue is not whether DPDK is using poll or select on the fd’s.
>
> The issue is that DPDK is raising the per-process number of fd’s above the maximum that glibc supports for select().
>
> Therefore no other code within that process can reliably use select() on an fd set, because any file that is opened may get an fd number > 1024.

I see now. Then it means the application must also use poll or we have to release these fd’s after used to free up some fd’s below 1024 (which I assume is not possible) or something else needs to happen. These are questions for Anatoly I guess.

Can you use 1G hugepages instead of 2M pages or a combo of the two, not sure how dpdk handles having both in the system?

Regards,
Keith