[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Should ''shmget" not be used to consume hugepages in DPDK?

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Thu Feb 6 14:53:54 CET 2020

On 22-Dec-19 3:33 PM, Byonggon Chun wrote:
> x-posting to dev mailing list.
>
> Hi all.
> I'm Kubernetes contributors and I'm working to make container isolation of
> hugepages that allows us to set hugepages limit per container cgroup.
> (At this point, limits are set on pod level cgroup even though we asked
> hugepages as the container level resource)
>
> I tore down testPMD and some parts of DPDK lib and I got a question after i
> found there is no usage of "shmget" in DPDK.
>
> My question is that Should "shmget" not be used to consume hugepages in
> DPDK?
> And here is following questions:
> 1) If we don't have to use "shmget", Why? Does it affect performance?
> 2) If I use "shmget" to get hugepages, should I call "mlock" syscall for it?
>
> For more details, as I know there are three ways to consume hugepages in
> kubernetes.
> 1) shmget with SHM_HUGETLB
> 2) mmap with hugetlbs filebacking
> 3) mmap with MAP_ANONYMOUS | MAP_HUGETLB
>
> And I found that testPMD calls mlock syscall when it maps an anonymous
> hugepages or external allocated
> hugepages.https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/blob/924e55fb340623f03fdf2ff7fbcfd78819d1db25/app/test-pmd/testpmd.c#L896https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/blob/924e55fb340623f03fdf2ff7fbcfd78819d1db25/app/test-pmd/testpmd.c#L916

The reason we're not using shmget is not because it's "legacy" or
something else. It's because it doesn't give the guarantees that we want
to have in DPDK. Namely, that the same shared object in memory is mapped
at the same addresses. Last time i checked, shmget doesn't allow to map
things at a specific address - each process will have its own pointer to
shared memory, and accesses to shared memory by pointer are not valid
across process boundaries. This is contrary to DPDK's goals, because we
want to avoid address translation when working with multiple processes
(in that sense, DPDK's multiprocess is basically like having multiple
threads).

Anatoly