[dpdk-dev] drivers/octeontx2: compilation fails without RTE_LIBRTE_SECURITY

Akhil Goyal akhil.goyal at nxp.com
Thu Feb 6 15:54:35 CET 2020

Hi Bruce/Thierry,

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 02:39:28PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When RTE_LIBRTE_SECURITY is disabled, compilation fails for octeontx2 (on
> an
> > Intel machine):
> >
> > git clone git://dpdk.org/dpdk
> > cd dpdk
> > make config T=x86_64-native-linux-gcc
> > cd build
> > vi .config
> >   => disable RTE_LIBRTE_IPSEC and RTE_LIBRTE_SECURITY
> > make
> > == Build drivers/net/octeontx2
> >   CC otx2_rx.o
> > In file included from .../dpdk/drivers/net/octeontx2/otx2_ethdev_sec.h:10,
> >                  from .../dpdk/drivers/net/octeontx2/otx2_rx.h:11,
> >                  from .../dpdk/drivers/net/octeontx2/otx2_ethdev.h:24,
> >                  from .../dpdk/drivers/net/octeontx2/otx2_rx.c:7:
> > .../dpdk/drivers/crypto/octeontx2/otx2_ipsec_fp.h:9:10: fatal error:
> > rte_security.h: No such file or directory
> >  #include <rte_security.h>
> >           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > compilation terminated.
> >
> > This seems cause by f44e7163775537 ('net/octeontx2: add security session
> > operations').
> >
> Disabling parts of the build, particularly libraries, is always likely to
> cause other build failures. I'm not sure we should, or even need to,
> support the disabling of arbitrary libs in DPDK.

This was followed in the past when rte_security was experimental
And we made sure that compilation should work even after disabling the
Lib. Now since the lib has been removed with the experimental tag, shall we
Follow the same in future as well. It depends on the community and the users
Of the code. If there is a valid use case, we can continue test compilation without
Rte_security.

-Akhil