[dpdk-dev] 19.11.4 patches review and test

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Thu Mar 18 12:54:20 CET 2021

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:23 PM Pai G, Sunil <sunil.pai.g at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes , OVS was using pkg-config even before these patches were rolled out.
> But it always used to pick the DPDK shared libs by default for OVS even on using the -Bstatic/-Bshared flags.
> These patches from Bruce simplify the process from DPDK side without having the user to specify them.
> Moreover, with these patches , the problem of shared DPDK libs always being picked instead of static was not seen any more with a bit of changes from the OVS side as well.
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/patch/20200707141126.71414-1-sunil.pai.g@intel.com/ .
> The patches for ovs-master are ready as well and will them out soon.

Hi Sunil, Ian, everyone ..

back  in 19.11.4 these DPDK changes were not picked up as they have
broken builds as discussed here.
Later on the communication was that all this works fine now and
thereby Luca has "reverted the reverts" in 19.11.6 [1].

But today we were made aware that still no OVS 2.13 builds against a
DPDK that has those changes.
Not 2.13.1 as we have it in Ubuntu nor (if it needs some OVS changes
backported) the recent 2.13.3 does build.
They still fail with the very same issue I reported [2] back then.

Unfortunately I have just released 19.11.7 so I can't revert them
there - but OTOH reverting and counter reverting every other release
seems wrong anyway.

I wanted to ask if there is a set of patches that OVS would need to
backport to 2.13.x to make this work?
If they could be identified and prepared Distros could use them on
2.13.3 asap and 2.13.4 could officially release them for OVS later on.

But for that we'd need a hint which OVS changes that would need to be.
All I know atm is from the testing reports on DPDK it seems that OVS
2.14.3 and 2.15 are happy with the new DPDK code.
Do you have pointers on what 2.13.3 would need to get backported to
work again in regard to this build issue.

[1]: http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/log/?h=19.11&ofs=550
[2]: http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/stable/2020-September/024796.html

--
Christian Ehrhardt