[dpdk-dev] 19.11.4 patches review and test

Pai G, Sunil sunil.pai.g at intel.com
Thu Mar 18 14:36:22 CET 2021

Hey Christian,

<snipped>

> back  in 19.11.4 these DPDK changes were not picked up as they have broken
> builds as discussed here.
> Later on the communication was that all this works fine now and thereby
> Luca has "reverted the reverts" in 19.11.6 [1].
>
> But today we were made aware that still no OVS 2.13 builds against a DPDK
> that has those changes.
> Not 2.13.1 as we have it in Ubuntu nor (if it needs some OVS changes
> backported) the recent 2.13.3 does build.
> They still fail with the very same issue I reported [2] back then.
>
> Unfortunately I have just released 19.11.7 so I can't revert them there - but
> OTOH reverting and counter reverting every other release seems wrong
> anyway.
>
> I wanted to ask if there is a set of patches that OVS would need to backport
> to 2.13.x to make this work?
> If they could be identified and prepared Distros could use them on
> 2.13.3 asap and 2.13.4 could officially release them for OVS later on.
>
> But for that we'd need a hint which OVS changes that would need to be.
> All I know atm is from the testing reports on DPDK it seems that OVS
> 2.14.3 and 2.15 are happy with the new DPDK code.

> Do you have pointers on what 2.13.3 would need to get backported to work
> again in regard to this build issue.

You would need to use partial contents from patch :
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/patch/1608142365-26215-1-git-send-email-ian.stokes@intel.com/

If you'd like me to send patches which would work with 2.13, 2.14, I'm ok with that too.[keeping only those parts from patch which fixes the issue you see.]
But we must ensure it doesn’t cause problems for OVS too.
Your thoughts Ilya ?

> [1]: http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/log/?h=19.11&ofs=550
> [2]: http://mails.dpdk.org/archives/stable/2020-September/024796.html
<snipped>