[dpdk-users] dpdk - for video frames too ?

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Thu Nov 12 09:49:39 CET 2015

2015-11-12 09:14, Ran Shalit:
> I need to develop a driver/application which capture and output video
> frames from PCIe device , and is using Intel cpu (i7), Centand Intel's
> media sdk server framework for the video compression.
>
> I am not sure what will be a better choice between the following 2 options:
> 1. application which use dpdk for capture and output to the PCIe device
> 2. v4l driver for the PCIe device
>
> dpdk is supposed to be able to read/write from PCIe device too.
> I tried to see the prons/cons of dpdk compared to v4l.
>
> prons of dpdk, as I understand them:
> 1. userspace application (easier debugging compared to kernel
> debugging of v4l device driver)
> 2. supposed better performance
>
> cons of dpdk compared to v4l:
> 1. I could not find examples for PCIe device usage , or samples for
> showing how application (such as media sdk) use dpdk video frames.

There is no API for video currently.
There is an API for networking drivers and a crypto API is coming.
If you feel a DPDK poll mode driver would be a good design, you are
welcome to do it. In case it brings some performance improvement,
it can be decided (no guarantee) to integrate it in the scope of the DPDK.