[dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Oct 29 15:04:03 CET 2015

On 10/29/15, 8:19 AM, "users on behalf of Jay Rolette" <users-bounces at dpdk.org on behalf of rolette at infiniteio.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
>wrote:
>
>> 2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
>> > Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.
>>
>> NO
>> This answer is useless.
>> Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.
>>

>So you don't expect users to make ANY effort?

I do expect them to make an effort, but you can me nicer here. Telling them

‘No, it does not running directly on OS X, you need a VM running Linux. Try VirtualBox or some other too with Ubuntu Linux.
Plus the documentation is a very useful place to get started as it explains a lot of questions you may have http://dpdk.org/doc ‘

That would have been one of the answers to give instead of a quick 2 second not-so-nice response.

>If it required someone to go look at the code, I'd agree with you. In this
>case, you don't even have to get past the table of contents of the User's
>Guide.
>
>Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
>(said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
>in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

Regards,
Keith