[dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 15:22:42 CET 2015

Hi Jay,

On 10/29/2015 09:19 AM, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
>>> Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.
>>
>> NO
>> This answer is useless.
>> Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.
>>

> So you don't expect users to make ANY effort?
>
> If it required someone to go look at the code, I'd agree with you. In this
> case, you don't even have to get past the table of contents of the User's
> Guide.
>
> Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
> (said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
> in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

I agree with Thomas, a naked RTFM is not helpful or welcoming.

A better answer would be "The supported platforms are listed in our
documentation - see here:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/supported_os.html"

Incidentally, I spent more than 2 mins to find that information, it's
not immediately obvious where to find the information in the
documentation - after browsing the docs links, I resorted to a Google
search for "site:dpdk.org supported operating systems" to find that link.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338