[dpdk-users] Capture EAL Output For Logging

Van Haaren, Harry harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Wed Jun 29 18:30:12 CEST 2016

> From: users [mailto:users-bounces at dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Cliff Burdick
> Hi, if I have my own logging mechanism, is there a way to capture the EAL
> output, especially on startup? The best way I can think of is to open a
> pipe to a child process that reads from stdout, and logs from there, but
> that seems like somewhat of a hack.

The same approach of using pipes has been taken for the CollectD plugin for DPDK[1]; it has proven to work fine. Based on the experience of developing, having a child process with pipes makes it a little more complex to debug, but not drastically so.

Hope that helps! Regards, -Harry

[1] https://github.com/collectd/collectd/pull/1649