[dpdk-users] bringing up kni interfaces using netlink

Alex Kiselev kiselev99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:20:21 CEST 2016

Hi!

I am trying to use the linux netlink interface with kni interfaces in
order to bring them up and add ip addresses to them and I am
experiencing some strange behaviors. Could anyone help me to
understand what I am doing wrong?

The problem is that I can’t bring kni interfaces up using the netlink
interface immediately after their creation. What I can is to bring
them up using the “ip” linux tool or I can bring them up using netlink
after some time has passed. But when I try to up them immediately
after the creation they just stay in the “DOWN” state. Also the “ip
link ls” linux command freezes for about 5-7 seconds after netlink
commands have sent to up the kni interfaces, and one of kni interfaces
changes it’s name to the name of one of the pure linux interfaces
(eth3).

P.S. I am using the DPDP 2.2.0.

Alex Kiselev