[dpdk-users] Failed to remap 2 MB pages

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Aug 2 15:31:57 CEST 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:01 AM, Kumaraparameshwaran Rathnavel <krath at cloudsimple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kyle,
>
> I have rebooted it couple of times. Did not have any impact, I doubt if that is the case because in the code before the mmap call there is check for the memory.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do you setup your huge pages via the sysctl.conf file or by hand after you startup the system?

One other item is I had something similar in my dual socket machine. I could only get about 12K total 2megs pages in 64G machine 32G per socket. I increase the memory per socket and that allowed me to reach 16K pages total or 8K pages per socket. I did not understand why it happened I just assumed it was how Linux used memory. Sorry this most likely does not help much.

> Thanking You,
> Param.
>> On 02-Aug-2017, at 11:34 AM, Kyle Larose <klarose at sandvine.com> wrote:
>>
>> Could it have to do with memory fragmentation? What if you reboot? What if you configure the huge pages on the grub command line so they are allocated at boot?

Regards,
Keith