[dpdk-users] cannot allocate more than one vdev device of a type

Dirk-Holger Lenz dirk.lenz at ng4t.com
Thu Aug 3 15:45:39 CEST 2017

it is not possible to allocate more than one vdev of a type

(e.g. crypto_openssl or crypto_aesni_mb).

Our application may use several crypto devices which may

be virtual devices.

In the past it was possible to have several arguments of

--vdev (as much as devices needed)

(e.g. --vdev=crypto_openssl) given to rte_eal_init().

In the current version (17.08rc3) in any case only one device

is allocated.

In our case we are using dpdk built as shared libraries.

This happens due to the check in vdev_scan():

         dev = find_vdev(devargs->name);
         if (dev)
             continue;

and in rte_cryptodev_pmd_allocate()

     if (rte_cryptodev_pmd_get_named_dev(name) != NULL) {
         CDEV_LOG_ERR("Crypto device with name %s already "
                 "allocated!", name);
         return NULL;
     }