[dpdk-users] Mechanism to increase MBUF allocation

Neeraj Tandon (netandon) netandon at cisco.com
Mon May 15 09:14:03 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have recently started using DPDK.  I have based my application on l2fwd application.  In my application, I am holding buffers for  a period of time and freeing the mbuf in another thread. The default number of MBUF is 8192 . I have two questions regarding this:

  1.  How to increase number of MBUFS : For this increasing NB_MBUF and calling  is not having any effect I.e I loose packet when packets > 8192 are sent in burst. I see following used for creating mbuf pool:

/* create the mbuf pool */
l2fwd_pktmbuf_pool = rte_pktmbuf_pool_create("mbuf_pool", NB_MBUF,
MEMPOOL_CACHE_SIZE, 0, RTE_MBUF_DEFAULT_BUF_SIZE,
rte_socket_id());

If I want to increase MBUF to say 65536 what should I do ?

      2. I am receiving packets in RX thread which is running on Core 2 and freeing on a thread which I launched using PHREAD and runs on Core 0 . Any implications for this kind of mechanism

Thanks for the support and keeping forum active.

Regards,
Neenah