[dpdk-users] Sending & Receiving Packets from Internet

Manoj Mallawaarachchi manoj_ws at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 22:02:35 CEST 2017

Dear All,

I'm new to DPDK and try to implement below scenario in my physical box having DPDK supported 1GB two port NIC( 82575EB)

Connectivity scenario :
PC laptop (via cross cable+static IP)----> [DPDK physical Box]- DPDK port 0 --> L2forwarder -->DPDK port 1 ---> Internet router/Gw.

Environment :

DPDK 16.11.1 + Ubuntu

My Objective is below:

1) connect PC via DPDK forwarding application reside in DPDK physical box to Internet home router and monitor real time traffic while browsing.(The DPDK box act as bridge between Internet and client PC.)

2) Implement QoS for the same traffic (source IP based)

I try to achieve it, but no much success, as my forwarding PC able to ping one way after put ARP entry as mentioning gateway IP as DPDK port 0 MAC , but no reply.

A) Seeking your valuable advice how to configure/develop two way communication app based on L2/L3 forwarder or any other example.

B)Is that required to bind user space TCP/IP stack with application to implement such scenario or it  can achieve via L2 or L3 forwarder?

C) Advice on how to setup the physical connectivity.

Note: I refer below discussions to get more clarity but not fully resolved my objective:

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2013-June/000237.html

http://www.dpdk.org/ml/archives/users/2017-January/001421.html

Seeking your valuable advice to way forward.

Thank you,
Manoj M