[dpdk-users] KNI vhost support has been removed from 17.05

Zhao, Bing ilovethull at 163.com
Tue Nov 21 03:03:48 CET 2017

Hello Ferruh,

On 2017/11/21 3:19, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 1:34 AM, Zhao, Bing wrote:
> > Hello Yigit,
> >       I searched from the Internet about the KNI vhost support. And from
> > your slides "Interworking with the Linux Kernel" in Dublin, 2016, it is
> > said that the support was planned to be removed because no user use it.
> > And from the release notes of 17.05, it is mentioned, as title, the
> > support is removed. I searched the archive mails and only limited
> > information could be found. So it there any technical discussion about
> > this? And will this be added back in the future or removed forever?
>
> Hi Bing,
>
> There was no discussion, but also there was no comment to the patch that removes
> the support, nobody objected it.
>
> The KNI vhost is from times there was no vhost support exists, now it is
> possible to use vhost.
>
> And there is no plan to put it back. Are you an user of that feature?
>
> Thanks,
> ferruh
>

> > Many thanks in advance~
> >
> > BR. Bing

Many thanks for your information. I am not a user of that feature but some learner. I am trying to find out all the basic combination used for the virtualization. So I assume that as shown in your slides, the following alternative solutions could be used:
1. Tun/Tap - Recently tap PMD patch sent
2. af_packet
3. virtio-user + vhost-net
4. Bifurcated driver
Am I right? Or is there any new feature?

BR. Bing