[dpdk-users] Linux forcibly descheduling isolated thread on isolated cpu running DPDK rx under load

Richard Nutman Richard.Nutman at s-a-m.com
Fri Apr 20 12:14:18 CEST 2018

Hi Terry,

Following on from what Stephen mentioned, when you hit an AVX2 instruction there is a warmup latency while the CPU powers on the upper half of the 256bit lanes.
It's normally around 10usecs, so possibly not accounting for everything you're seeing;

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-isa-extensions/topic/710248

Also with RT threads that never yield you should add nosoftlockup to your bootline to prevent the kernel assuming your thread has locked up.

Some things to look into;
1. Are you using no_hz mode on the kernel bootline ?
2. Have you disabled RCU callbacks from your cpu's with rcu_nocbs on kernel bootline ?
3. Have you manually IRQbalanced to move IRQ's off your isolated cpu's ?

The clear_page_erms suggests it could be memory housekeeping like zone reclaiming or transparent_hugepages, have you disabled these ?

-Richard.