[dpdk-users] Linux forcibly descheduling isolated thread on isolated cpu running DPDK rx under load

terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 20 13:32:36 CEST 2018

Hi there everyone - thank you for the responses.
As I'm using the standard Ubuntu kernel - nohz isn't an option , for nohz-full mode anyway. I can't recompile the kernel as I need to make use of a proprietary binary kernel driver. I don't need extremely low latency - 10uS as a worst case would be absolutely fine as there are 4096 buffers on the receive side of the X550 card and this is a receive process.
I've rebalanced all other IRQs away from the isolated cores. Nowatchdog, nosoftlockup are implemented. rcu callbacks are disabled for the isolated cores.
CStates > 1 are disabled. All the cores are running at 2.6GHz continually (as observed in i7z).
What is puzzling me is the 'extreme' state of idleness that the isolated core enters, from running SCHED_FIFO at pri98 to nothing - for ages. P states are disabled, speedstep is disabled - so if this is something to do with the AVX2 activity then I'm stumped at what the mechanism is, as the effect only manifests itself when the rest of the software is more active/using memory/transitioning in processing etc.
The isolated core's thread is actually going into C1 state for significant time whilst this effect occurs, as I pick this up in i7z and I see the non-voluntary context switches away from the isolated core's thread by logging activity in 'perf'.
I'm struggling with why the effect is so extreme. The processor is disappearing for up to 20,000,000 TSC clocks at 2.6GHz, which is just outrageously long -  then the core wakes up again and the thread continues. The median time for my AVX2 processing on a packet is something like 0.3uS - its not the code itself that's causing this. It appears to just go idle in the middle of AVX2.
Its a single thread within a process - which has many other threads on other cores all at default priority.
Can some process-scope effect come in and just throw the SCHED_FIFO priority thread off the core for ages? Seems unlikely.
Any help gratefully received.
Terry.