[dpdk-users] Query on handling packets

Harsh Patel thadodaharsh10 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:37:57 CET 2018

Hello,
The data mentioned in the previous mails are observations and the number of
threads mentioned are what the system is creating and not given by us to
the system. I'm not sure how to explain this by a picture but I will
provide a text explanation.

First, we ran the Linux kernel code which uses raw sockets and we gave 2
cores. That example used 2 threads on its own.
Secondly, we ran our DPDK in ns-3 code and we the same number of cores i.e.
2 cores. That example spawned 6 threads on its own.
(Note:- These are observations)
All of the above statistics were provided to answer the question if both
the simulations might be given different number of cores and may be that
was the reason of the performance bottleneck. Clearly they are both using
same no. of cores (2) and the results are what I have sent earlier. (Raw
socket ~ 10 Mbps and DPDK ~ 2.5 Mbps)

Now we thought that we might give more cores to DPDK in ns-3 code, which
might improve its performance.
This is where we gave 4 cores to our DPDK in ns-3 code which still spawned
the same 6 threads. And it gave the same results as 2 cores for DPDK in
ns-3.
This was the observation.

>From this, we assume that the number of cores is not a reason for the less
performance. This is not a problem we need to look somewhere else.
So, the problem due to which we are getting less performance and a
bottleneck around 2.5Mbps is somewhere else and we need to figure that out.

Ask again if not clear. If clear, we need to see where the problem is and
can you help in finding the reason why this happennig?

Thanks & Regards,
Harsh & Hrishikesh