[dpdk-users] RSS hash based on L2 (src mac, dst mac) on Intel 82599 NICs

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Dec 18 19:36:05 CET 2018

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:02:06 +0300
Alex Kiselev <alex at therouter.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to configure Intel 82599 NICs RSS function to calculate rss hash value
> based on only the L2 src address and dst address for nonIp packets?
>
> It's possible to do so with Intel x710 cards, but I haven't found the same feature
> for 82599. Have I missed something? Or it's a unique feature available only on x710
> cards?
>
> Thanks.

In DPDK this is ETH_RSS_L2_PAYLOAD.
The ixgbe driver does not list this is a supported offload type:

#define IXGBE_RSS_OFFLOAD_ALL ( \
	ETH_RSS_IPV4 | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV4_TCP | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV4_UDP | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6 | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV6_TCP | \
	ETH_RSS_NONFRAG_IPV6_UDP | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_EX | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_TCP_EX | \
	ETH_RSS_IPV6_UDP_EX)

The Linux driver does not appear to support this either.