[dpdk-users] Multiple UDP ports Per NIC

Richard Nutman Richard.Nutman at s-a-m.com
Thu Jun 7 12:10:01 CEST 2018

Hi Kevin,

This is possible if you use the rte_flow system on NIC's that support it. In older versions of DPDK it was called the Flow Director.  This enables you to steer network streams to a particular receive queue, which can be processed on a particular cpu core.

See http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__flow_8h.html for more details;
Example; http://dpdk.org/doc/api/examples_2flow_filtering_2main_8c-example.html

Alternatively you can receive all packets on 1 or several cores (if you use something like RSS) and can sort and send to different cores if needs be.

Transmit works similar. Just set up multiple TX queues for each core you want to have active sending from.

Pay particular attention to which functions are thread-safe in DPDK, especially for packet pools.

-Richard.