[dpdk-users] Run-to-completion or Pipe-line for QAT PMD in DPDK

Trahe, Fiona fiona.trahe at intel.com
Fri Jan 18 14:13:43 CET 2019

Hi Alex,

[Fiona]
Option 2 is not possible with QAT - the dequeue must be called in the same thread as the enqueue. This is
optimised without atomics for best performance - if this is a problem let us know.
However best performance is not quite using option 1 and not a synchronous blocking method.
If you enqueue and then go straight to dequeue, you're not getting the best advantage from the
cycles freed up by  offloading.
i.e. best to enqueue a burst, then go do some other work, like maybe collecting more requests for
next enqueue or other processing, then dequeue. Take and process whatever ops are dequeued - this
will not necessarily match up with the number you've enqueued - depends on how quickly you call the dequeue.
Don't wait until all the enqueued ops are dequeued before enqueuing the next batch.
SO it's asynchronous. But in the same thread.
You'll get best throughput when you keep the input filled up so the device has operations to work on and
regularly dequeue a burst. Dequeuing too often will waste cycles in the overhead calling the API, dequeuing too
slowly will cause the device to back up. Ideally tune for your application to find the sweet spot in
between these 2 extremes.