[dpdk-users] pktgen - !PANIC!: *** Did not find any ports to use ***

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue May 28 15:59:48 CEST 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 12:33 AM, Sara Gittlin <sara.gittlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
> According the dpdk release notes - my NIC   - Onboard NIC: *Intel(R)
> X552*/X557-AT
> (2x10G) was tested
>
> Tested Platforms
>
> ----------------
>

> #. SuperMicro 1U
>

>   - BIOS: 1.0c
>
>   - Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz
>

> #. SuperMicro 1U
>

>   - BIOS: 1.0a
>
>   - Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1540 @ 2.00GHz
>
>   *- Onboard NIC: Intel(R) X552/X557-AT (2x10G)*
>
> Thank you

As Stephen stated this normally something to do with device IDs or NICs not bound to the correct module igb_uio, vfio, …, this I believe is a configuration problem and not a Pktgen problem. The pktgen command line looks correct, but DPDK needs to see the ports before pktgen can use them.

I did not see which kernel module you have attached NICs can you show the dpdk-devbind.py -s output or if you forgot to do that bind inside the VM please bind the NICs to the kernel module you are using. Beyond this little help I do not use VMs very often to get pktgen and not much help here, but as I stated this is not a pktgen problem.

Have you tested other DPDK apps like testpmd/l3fwd/l2fwd and do they work?

> -Sara
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 5:56 PM Sara Gittlin <sara.gittlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Stephen
>> i can run pktgen on the host  with same 2 VF's
>> Regards
>> -Sara
>>

>> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 5:52 PM Stephen Hemminger <
>> stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:

>>> Most likely these devices are missing/not supported by DPDK driver.
>>> Look at the numeric id's (lspci -n) and compare them with the list
>>> of pci ids in the driver source.
>>>
>>> In the past with Intel devices it also helped to look at the Linux
>>> kernel driver. Sometimes the missing id's were there and some small
>>> changes to the MAC code was necessary to get them to work.

Regards,
Keith