[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Mon May 4 22:34:29 CEST 2015

On 01/05/15 20:17, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> On 5/1/15, 1:09 PM, "Stephen Hemminger" <stephen at networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 May 2015 15:56:32 +0000
>> "Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I believe the DPDK community would benefit from moving to GitHub as the
>>> primary DPDK site. http://github.com
>>>
>>> I believe the DPDK community can benefit from being at a very well know
>>> world wide site. GitHub seems to have the most eyes of any of the open
>>> source Git repos today and it appears they have more then twice as many
>>> developers. GitHub has a number of features I see as some good
>>> additions to
>>> our community using the GitHub organization account type.
>>>
>>> The cost for an organization account is $0 as long as we do not need
>>> more
>>> then 5 private repos.

Minor issue:

https://github.com/pricing

Private repos for both users and organizations are not for free in
github (they've never been afaik). They are in bitbucket, up to 5
contributors.

But I don't get how private repositories have any influence in this
discussion. Private repositories will be owned by companies and not DPDK
as a community anyway.

marc