[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue May 5 04:54:14 CEST 2015

On 5/4/15, 1:34 PM, "Marc Sune" <marc.sune at bisdn.de> wrote:

>On 01/05/15 20:17, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>>
>> On 5/1/15, 1:09 PM, "Stephen Hemminger" <stephen at networkplumber.org>
>>wrote:

>Minor issue:
>
>https://github.com/pricing
>
>Private repos for both users and organizations are not for free in
>github (they've never been afaik). They are in bitbucket, up to 5
>contributors.

Sorry, I could have sworn they gave 5 free, but you are correct we should
not require any private repos as we can use the teams and permissions.

Odd did they always have a cost for private repos for personal accounts? I
was thinking I had gotten 5 free in the beginning, but I have had to move
up to 10 repos a 8 months ago and I forget.

>But I don't get how private repositories have any influence in this
>discussion. Private repositories will be owned by companies and not DPDK
>as a community anyway.
>
>marc

>>> In my experience the github pull model causes less review, not more.
>>> It only works if maintainers are motivated to do this as their full
>>>time
>>> job.
>>>
>>> With email, the patches are right in front of developers and easier to
>>> quote
>>> for review comments.
>> We are not getting the eyes on the review today, which means to me it
>>will
>> not matter if we move to GitHub method in the future.

Correct, we need to add a process to require reviews in some way, what
that process needs to be defined.

>> Personally I am able to see the differences with the GitHub display and
>> helps me see what is really happening. The emails are too flat and then
>> they can indent forever or someones email client (like mine) screws up
>>the
>> format. With the GitHub method is will be exactly the same for everyone.

Moving to an easier reading display for everyone makes sense to me. Not
have to remember to add ―in-reply-to every time is also another reason to
adopt a system that handles this for you. Having a bunch of little
processes to manage is just asking for little mistakes and GitHub method
fixes this one.

Having everyone able to see the exact same style is the big plus that Marc
is pointing out here not what MUA someone uses.