[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] dumb question: how to start packet TX and set the payload

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Thu Jan 21 21:09:16 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 07:44:21PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:
> What type of data do you want to add to the packets? Now it builds
> IPv4/UDP/TCP packets, do you need to replace UDP or TCP or just add more
> protocol layers?

I perform content inspection of various types:

IPv4 - supported
IPv6 - supported
TCP - supported
UDP - supported
DNS - need custom binary payload
sFlow - need custom binary payload
Netflow - need custom sequence (supported) and custom binary payload
UDP Syslog - need custom ASCII payload (binary would of course work)

TCP Syslog - need custom ASCII payload (probably impossible w/ this tool as a
three-way handshake is needed for me to begin receiving in the app, which is
among other things a high performance Syslog digester, but UDP is enough for
now)

Because it's a security app I have to model things like "99% boring, 1%
interesting" as packets which raise alerts cost more resources than packets
which do not.

Matthew.