[dpdk-dev] mlx5 reta size is dynamic

Nélio Laranjeiro nelio.laranjeiro at 6wind.com
Thu Mar 22 10:27:34 CET 2018

Hi Hanoch,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 09:02:19AM +0000, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) wrote:
> Hi Nelio,
> I think you didn't understand me. I suggest to keep the RETA table
> size constant (maximum 512 in your case) and don't change its base on
> the number of configured Rx-queue.

It is even simpler, we can return the maximum size or a multiple of
RTE_RETA_GROUP_SIZE according to the number of Rx queues being used, in
the devop->dev_infos_get() as it is what the
rte_eth_dev_rss_reta_update() implementation will expect.

> This will make the DPDK API consistent. As a user I need to do tricks
> (allocate an odd/prime number of rx-queues) to get the RETA size
> constant at 512

I understand this issue, what I don't fully understand your needs.

> I'm not talking about changing the values in the RETA table which can
> be done while there is traffic.

On MLX5 changing the entries of the RETA table don't affect the current
traffic, it needs a port restart to affect it and only for "default"
flows, any flow created through the public flow API are not impacted by
the RETA table.

>From my understanding, you wish to have a size returned by
devop->dev_infos_get() usable directly by rte_eth_dev_rss_reta_update().
This is why you are asking for a fix size?  So, if internally the PMD
starts with a smaller RETA table does not really matter, until the RETA
API works without any trick from the application side.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

--
Nélio Laranjeiro
6WIND